Midoki are looking for an experienced game economy designer to join their development team.
You will work in the design team on the game’s progression systems, in-game economy and monetisation. You would be responsible for understanding how a game works as a service for its customers and how the customers behave in it, identifying and developing the purchase drivers in the game economy context, and providing constant data-driven recommendations on design, tuning and pricing in order to improve the game’s financial performance.
During development you will be able to design the virtual products a game will offer, define metrics that allow you to measure their impact in the title, and work closely with the development team to see those designs refined and metrics implemented.
Once the game is launched, you will analyse the collected data and report which on the performing/under-performing aspects of the game’s economy and work with the team to provide solutions and improvements.
Your day to day duties would include:
- Defining the virtual products and their pricing with the development team, and understanding how each of them contributes to the game economy.
- Identifying the potential sale drivers for the different product categories in the game economy and defining the key points of exposure for those drivers.
- Balancing the needs for those virtual products, their relation, life cycle, and their availability.
- Regularly provide user feedback and price point tuning to the development team based on play-testing, both during game development and post-release.
- This is a position requiring a mix of strong economy and marketing knowledge with passion for analytical game design and the free-to-play business model.
- Reviewing/contributing to the meta design aspects of the game and giving feedback and suggestions where appropriate.
- Graduate degree in Economics, Business Management or BA, preferably specializing in Marketing, Market Research or Strategic direction.
- Strong understanding of gameplay and game design.
- Strong analytical and formal thinking with the ability to break problems down into their key variables and identify relationships between them.
- Expert knowledge of spreadsheet tools, e.g Microsoft Excel, Google Sheets etc.
- Fluent written and spoken English, concise writing skills.
- An interest in psychology, user behaviour and cognitive science.
- Strong marketing knowledge with the ability to formulate selling strategies to improve the financial performance.
- Statistics knowledge with the ability to identify the specific weaknesses and strengths in the economy’s design.
- Understanding of client/server architecture and data collecting pipeline and mining.
- Deep knowledge of the current free-to-play market, both web-based and on smartphones.
- Passion for games on all formats: board games, card games, sports, RPGs, all genres of video games.
- Some knowledge of SQL or other database querying language.
- Some exposure to mongoDB - its data structure and tools.
- Specific experience working on free-to-play RPG games.